♦ Outstanding Professors and Researchers
EB-1 is the first preference category of employment-based immigrant petitions for alien workers. There are three subcategories under EB-1A petitions, namely EB-1A Alien of Extraordinary Ability, EB-1B Outstanding Professors and Researchers, and EB-1C Multinational Executives and Managers.
To be qualified as an Outstanding Professors and Researchers, the alien must demonstrate international recognition for outstanding achievements in a particular academic field. The alien must have at least 3 years of experience in teaching or research in the academic area. The alien seeks to enter to the US to pursue a tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.
♦ Qualifications for Outstanding Achievements
To successfully document an alien’s outstanding achievements in the field, the alien needs to meet 2 out of the 6 listed criteria which include:
- Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievements
- Membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
- Published material in professional publications about the alien’s work in the academic field
- Participation as a judge of the work of others, either individually or on a panel, in the same or allied academic field
- Original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
- Authorship of scholarly books or articles in scholarly journals with international circulation in the field
♦ Key to a successful EB-1B petition
An offer of employment addressed to the alien is required. The related position must be a tenure/tenure-tracked teaching position or comparable research position at a university or an institution of higher education.