If you wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies in the United States, you may be eligible for one of two nonimmigrant student categories. The “F” category is for academic students and the “M” is for vocational students. To learn more, please see the Students and Exchange Visitors Program Web page on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s website.

If you wish to participate in an exchange program you may be eligible for the “J” category for exchange visitors. The J visa program is for educational and cultural exchange programs. For more information, please see the Exchange Visitor Visa pageon the Department of State website.

Students: Academic and Vocational (F and M visas)

F-1 Academic students
F-2 Spouses and children of F-1
F-3 Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students
M-1 Vocational students
M-2 Spouses and children of M1
M-3 Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students

Exchange Visitors (J visas)

J-1 Exchange visitors
J-2 Spouses and children of J-1

U.S. Federal Tax Information

Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors and cultural exchange visitors are subject tospecial rules with respect to the taxation of their income.